[mythtv-users] Motherboard recommendation

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 15:14:11 UTC 2014

On 19/08/14 15:58, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 8/19/14 10:45 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 02:28 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>>> I can think of several uses for more ethernet ports.
>>>
>>> A common router configuration is:
>> But this is the MythTV users' mailing list, not the lets-build-a-router
>> mailing list so OP must be asking for a motherboard recommendation for a
>> MythTV machine, not a router.  Right?  So let's not take this thread off
>> on yet another *completely and utterly* OT tangent.
>>
> I'm the OP, and, in fact, this machine is to be used as a combined router and
> backend. I'd like at least three Ethernet ports for the very reason Stephen
> cited: a protected subnet, in addition to LAN and WAN.
>
> While I really like JYA's suggested board, I fear that it is overkill for me in
> some areas (mostly price, extra ports, and having to buy ECC RAM.) My server
> seems pretty modest compared to some: only 6 x 2TB media drives and 2 smaller
> drives for the database and OS.

If your system has become that complex then the time has come for you to set up
a dedicated router box. That way you can have as many Ethernet ports as you
require. You can configure it to route and firewall without having to think
about what any application is doing. That also means you shouldn't need
firewalling in any other box.

Something like this, perhaps:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34#jnf92-270

together with one of these:

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=34#modules

(Since you mentioned it, available with either Realtek or Intel chipsets.)

That's more or less what I use, only it was much cheaper to buy then :)

I run it with (free) pfSense: https://www.pfsense.org/?gui211

--

Mike Perkins