[mythtv-users] upgrade

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:20:16 UTC 2014

> On 19 Aug 2014, at 10:04 pm, "Daryl McDonald" <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > There is another way to get useable / copyable console output and that is to open a terminal from your desktop! That is the way I run myth{backend|frontend|filldatabase} when I am debugging.
> > >
> > > By doing that you get a nice big scrollable buffer which you can look back through at your leisure (assuming the thing hasn't hung, of course).
> > >
> > > Another advantage of such terminals is that you can highlight portions you want to keep with the mouse and then paste them into your favorite editor for saving or printing.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Mike Perkins

> > I don't know if there is a technical difference between a TTY console and a plain old terminal window? In the past I've assumed that TTY was less likely to be fouled by whatever was going on in your desktop instance, but it's just an assumption.
> >
> > Certainly I have had times when I couldn't get a terminal window but TTY worked fine?
>
> My experience with previous attempts is that the upgraded OS is unusable after the process, so creating a log in that file system would render it lost. Could it be directed to a thumb drive? That way I could open it afterwards on a functional system for review.  Daryl

Just use your Mythbuntu 14.04 cd as a live cd (ie boot from cd). Or Ubuntu 12.04 or really whatever you happen to have lying around. That would get you a fully functioning OS and access to the hard disks. It would also give you access to some useful recovery tools (for repairing boot partitions and the like should that be determined to be required).

Although it is probably unlikely that the system could not be convinced to boot in some fashion, but we would need to know more specific details about what exactly happens after reboot. Do you get dumped to a shell / command prompt? Or black screen? What is the last thing you see on the screen?

This link has some info on accessing recovery mode https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

It would be surprising (to say the least) if the upgrade left your system unable to access at least recovery mode and I suspect some of the guru's on this list would have it back up and running in a few short minutes.