[mythtv-users] upgrade

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 07:20:42 UTC 2014

On 8/19/14, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> sudo su -
> apt-get update
> apt-get -y dist-upgrade 2>&1 | tee /home/daryl/tmp_apt-get_log.log
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
> do-release-upgrade 2>&1 | tee /home/daryl/tmp_upgrade_log.log
> reboot
>
> The aim of what I am suggesting is to get a copy of the output into a temp
> log file (and to screen while it is happening) so you can easily browse from
> your desktop and copy / paste from (if necessary) later. Hopefully someone
> can fine-tune the syntax appropriately.

another log-recording option

sudo su -
cd /home/daryl
script upgrade.log
apt-get update
apt-get -y dist-upgrade
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
do-release-upgrade
exit                             # this stops 'script' recording
reboot

'script' captures all commands and their output (including backspaces,
etc) in a single file.
The log may be difficult to read if you get prompted about
configuration changes because
there may be escape characters embedded, but I suspect no worse than
Mark's method.

I assume you know this but before the apt-get update step make _sure_
that you don't have any package sources other than the official ubuntu
ones (no PPAs etc). This may help:

find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec grep -w deb {} \; | grep -v ^#

All the lines of output should have the codename of the new release
(trusty?) in them.
so  you could filter that out:

find /etc/apt -name "*.list" -exec grep -w deb {} \; | grep -v ^#|grep -v trusty

If you do, just mv them somewhere outside of /etc/apt. You can put
them back afterward, though of course you may need to edit them to
point to sources relevant to the trusty release.

Kind regards
Vince