[mythtv-users] A Myther can dream, right?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:25:51 UTC 2014

The 2950 wouldn't allow the number of drives I wanted all in one box,
the DS380 allows 8 x 3.5" + 4 x 2.5", so in the configuration I'm
building I'll end up with 36TB RAID6 (so pretty high redundancy) and
3TB RAID5 as my 'boot/OS/working' area.  I would expect that'll keep
me going for the next 5 years at least and in a nice compact box that
I can move without too many problems.  My current setup has 16TB in
it's RAID6 setup with the drives mounted in some M35 Mobile Racks to
ensure cooling, I'll be keeping that as a backup unit although I'll
probably retire the drives and sell them off replacing them in a year
or two with 8TB versions and then use it as a full blown backup box
(the only way to effectively backup large storage units with anything
approaching a reasonable restore time these days is with another large
storage unit!!).

I'm sure most of the professionals here would agree that the most
common cause of drive failure of a long period is temperature and any
setup must have some methodology for ensuring drive temps are kept as
low as practicable.