[mythtv-users] upgrade

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 13:21:23 UTC 2014

On Aug 17, 2014 8:49 AM, "Mark Perkins" <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > On 17 Aug 2014, at 6:57 pm, "Mike Perkins" <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> > On 17/08/14 05:42, Mark Perkins wrote:
> > (deletia)
> >>
> >> No, definitely don't move /usr/local/bin across. About the only thing
I can
> >> think of that might be a problem would be whether mythcommflag is
entered as
> >> "/usr/local/bin/mythcommflag" or "mythcommflag" and either way we can
just
> >> tweak it up later if it doesn't work. Both old and new install are
variants
> >> of Mythbuntu anyway (IIRC) so it's pretty much a given it will work
fine
> >> without any intervention anyway. It would be more a (minor?)
consideration if
> >> you were moving from say Mythbuntu to Gentoo or something else - I
probably
> >> shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place it is so unlikely.
> >>
> >> Yes the udev rules will need to be recreated - the database will be
looking
> >> for those (ie the custom naming) - but I'm hopeful you can just reuse
the
> >> previous rules unmodified if the hardware is identical (although I know
> >> nothing about udev but that is where I would start).
> >>
> >> But before doing udev rules I would make sure MythTV is working first
with a
> >> basic setup on a clean install and clean empty database. Ie add a
single
> >> tuner in mythtv-setup, add a video source etc and check that you can
get some
> >> live TV, program guide etc. That might shake out a few issues first
(MySQL
> >> setup / MythTV user setup / various permissions - which should all be
fine
> >> out-of-the-box with clean Mythbuntu install) with a known clean
database so
> >> that future troubleshooting is kept as simple as possible. Make sure
this
> >> step includes the config.xml file from the old setup (ie hostname
identifier,
> >> username and password in particular).
> >>
> >> Once clean install MythTV is working next thing after would be to do
udev
> >> rules and verify they are working, then restore database (following
host name
> >> change protocols for the database where applicable). I think storage
group
> >> folders can be corrected after that if necessary if folder naming or
mount
> >> points have changed.
> > If you have done a new, clean installation the likelihood is that your
MySQL database has been given a NEW auto-generated password.

> > Using the one which is in your original config.xml is sure to cause
tears.

> > Examine the NEW config.xml the installation process gave you and note
down the password! Then update that config.xml file with the relevant
information from the old setup, but NOT the password.

> > --
> >
> > Mike Perkins

> I'm not sure, but given it was a Mythbuntu install (old and new) I was
hoping that the password might just be standard and default and match
between old and new. However the reason I suggested using the old
config.xml was to specifically test if it matched the old install or not.
If it didn't match my approach would have been to change the MySQL password
in MySQL to match that which I was used to from the old system - but maybe
that's just how my brain works. I would find learning the new password
annoying.

> But yes just moving on with the new password (if different) should be
fine and would probably be simpler. Just need to learn / remember to use
the new one at the appropriate times. Daryl is probably unlikely to have
any custom scripts with the old password hard-coded in?

Other than the password I set up on install I've never used/remembered any
other password. Probably because I have only the one box and don't do
anything remotely.

Thanks for all the contributions thus far. I have another idea I'm
considering, at my disposal is a 250GB drive and two 1TB drives. Eventually
I'd like the OS to be on the 250 and the other two to be set up in RAID.
The question is during this upgrade process can Ubuntu 12.04 and mythbuntu
14.04 be installed in dual boot fashion giving me the flexibility to
continue to record on Ubuntu while I take my time migrating scripts and
tweaking Mythbuntu?

It was a year ago when my son separated the OS from the recordings on the
same 1TB drive for me. How he did it escapes me at this time and what
considerations that will give this new endeavor is unknown to me. My
knowledge is directly related to my experience, so unless I've done
something a couple or three times its foggy at best.

Again, thanks for your time, consideration, and patience.
Daryl.