[mythtv-users] Combined FE/BE using USB for all I/O?

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at byu.net
Sat Aug 16 21:19:53 UTC 2014

On Friday, August 15, 2014, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Looking at setting up a Intel NUC (Celeron) as a combined FE/BE. Low ened
> these days but way more powerful than my existing AMD I constructed 7 years
> ago :)
>
> The connectivity options on these device are limited, I'll be doing a
> fresh mythbuntu 14.04 install  on an internal 120GB SSD, but my 2 USB
> tuners and storage will have to be connected vi the existing 2xUSB2 and
> 1xUSB3 ports.
>
> I was considering the following:
>
> - USB2 Ports for IR controller and keyboard
> - USB3 Powered Hub
>   * 1 USB2 Single Tuner
>   * 1 USB2 Dual Tuner
>   * 1TB USB3 Drive
>   * 1TB USB3 Drive
>
> USB3 should provide sufficient bandwidth for simultaneous records and
> playback.
>

> NB:Only recording FTA DVB MPEG2 (Australia) and playing back ripped
> dvd's/videos
>
> Does this seem reasonable? Problematic?
>
> One concern I have is whether the USB2 tuners will drag the USB3 bus speed
> down.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Lindsay

I have a FE/BE system in a similar (but slightly diff) setup.

Zotac zbox id81 (atom processor)
Cineraid 4 bay JBOD with 6 TB total space (2x 2TB, 500GB, 1.5TB) connected
via USB3
USB 2.0 nic with a crossover cable to hdhr3 as the only tuner mpeg2 HDTV
ota.

No problems ever with disc throughput. Watching live tv while recording 1
show, recording 2 shows, etc.

Com flagging is not done in real time, I use slow deletes (not sure I need
to though), and I don't transcode anything.

VDPAU ensures I never really run into issues with CPU resources.