[mythtv-users] Combined FE/BE using USB for all I/O?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Aug 15 15:59:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 16:47 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Then in amongst this, add the "seek - read - ..." cycles for each process that's reading data (whether a frontend playing a recording or a job comm flagging or transcoding)

If your BE has enough memory and CPU, commflagging and/or transcoding
shouldn't actually cause any physical disk reads of their own as their
reads should be satisfied out of the disk cache in memory.  That assumes
that your CPU can do all of those things in real time and you have
enough memory to keep whatever the delay is between real-time and the
commflag/transcoding processes in the disk cache.

But transcoding will be another seek/write.  Just not a (physical) read.
And commflagging shouldn't be a (physical) read.

Indeed, I would say that enough memory to avoid those additional reads
is very well worth it if you are hitting peak disk seek/io throughput
during recording without it.

Cheers,
b.