[mythtv-users] Combined FE/BE using USB for all I/O?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Aug 15 15:18:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Brian J. Murrell
<brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 10:35 -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> I'd go with
>> one 2TB drive over two 1TB drives.
>
> I wouldn't.  At some point (i.e. some number of simultaneous recordings)
> you are going to run into spindle-contention where having more separate
> drives will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

"Allowed bitrates for the transported data depend on a number of
coding and modulation parameters: it can range from about 5 to about
32 Mbit/s"

That's 4MB/s for the high end, or 12 MB/s for three tuners recording
max-bit rate.

http://www.everythingusb.com/speed.html

USB 3.0 external disks handle around 100MB/s in or out.  There's
plenty of head room there for one disk to handle three tuners with one
disk.

Eric