[mythtv-users] Combined FE/BE using USB for all I/O?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 06:36:20 UTC 2014

Looking at setting up a Intel NUC (Celeron) as a combined FE/BE. Low ened
these days but way more powerful than my existing AMD I constructed 7 years
ago :)

The connectivity options on these device are limited, I'll be doing a fresh
mythbuntu 14.04 install  on an internal 120GB SSD, but my 2 USB tuners and
storage will have to be connected vi the existing 2xUSB2 and 1xUSB3 ports.

I was considering the following:

- USB2 Ports for IR controller and keyboard
- USB3 Powered Hub
  * 1 USB2 Single Tuner
  * 1 USB2 Dual Tuner
  * 1TB USB3 Drive
  * 1TB USB3 Drive

USB3 should provide sufficient bandwidth for simultaneous records and
playback.

NB:Only recording FTA DVB MPEG2 (Australia) and playing back ripped
dvd's/videos

Does this seem reasonable? Problematic?

One concern I have is whether the USB2 tuners will drag the USB3 bus speed
down.

thanks,
--
Lindsay