[mythtv-users] mysql 5.1 -> 5.5 upgrade

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Aug 14 00:21:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> Gentoo have just put mysql-5.5 into the stable tree which updates from
> mysql-5.1.70 to mysql-5.5.39.
>
> The upgrade page at mysql
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html
> recommends dumping all tables and then restoring them after the upgrade.
>
> Is this really necessary? It's not something I've had to do in the past
> and this box has been running for over 5 years now starting from version
> 5.0.70!
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Robin Gilks

I just did this upgrade on Gentoo and it tripped me up in a few ways, most
notably the fact that after I did my dispatch-conf to merge the new my.cnf
file I rebooted and discovered that the system completely stalled when
starting mysql. Ultimately it timed out (after 15 minutes!) and I was able
to log in and see in /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err that it was puking on the
command "default-character-set=utf8" in the [mysqld] section. I fixed that
and then it started. I also noted a few other warnings in there and took
care of them as well, including running mysql_upgrade, but note that you
need to run it with the "-u root -p" arguments or it will fail with no
reason given (even in verbose mode). I did not dump and restore my
databases but I did have backups in case it went sideways. They're probably
recommending that to be conservative. Given that mysql is such a core
package I figured it wouldn't have been stabilized in Gentoo without huge
warnings if it wasn't a mostly transparent upgrade.

Karl