[mythtv-users] Auto commskip failing in specific situations

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 9 14:09:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:34:24 +0100, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> In the first instance I am hoping that someone can either verify or
> otherwise tell me if I have a local setup problem:

I believe this is normal/intended behaviour

> 1) Auto commskip does not appear to work if the commercial starts in the
> first 90 frames

Last time I looked there was code that disabled auto-commskipping at the
start (& end?) of recordings.
It's difficult for some algorithms to determine whether the recording
starts in the previous programme, a commercial or the target programme so
I believe this was intended to prevent irritating erroneous skips. I
always meant to patch my system to remove it but haven't got around to it
yet - I just press Play, then 'JumpNext' instead.

> 2) Auto commskip does not appear to work if the jump to next commercial
> break marker key is pressed

Auto-commskip is also disabled for a period after any input so that you
can override it. Consider if it skips a 'commercial' incorrectly. You
press 'JumpBack' to override it and go back to the original place,
whereupon it immediately auto-skips again! You'd have to turn auto-skip
off before you could watch that part of the recording.

Historically comm-skipping has been unreliable, so Myth's design leans
towards avoiding the irritation of erroneous skipping. Maybe we need more
user settings so that you can customise this behaviour ;-)