[mythtv-users] Fedora 20 mythtv .27 audio issue

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Fri Aug 8 14:45:07 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 08:25 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 8 August 2014 09:15, Nick Campbell <westlandnick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been searching google & archives and I haven't found anything quite
>> the same as my issue.
>>
>> I have fedora 20 and mythtv .27 compiled from source.  Alsa audio works in
>> everything except mythtv.  It seems like mythtv can't see my audio, I have
>> done aplay -L and manually typed in the device, and mythtv says it doesn't
>> exist.  I have had a working mythtv setup with debian and ubuntu and on
>> those you could select a device from the dropdown, on my current setup my
>> only choice is null.  I found someone that had to change permissions on some
>> files, that seems like what needs to be done.. But that didn't work for me
>> either.  Anyone have any suggestions?  any logs I should submit?
>
> The only way it's null is that you compiled myth incorrectly, and
> didn't install the proper headers and library.
> So myth would have been compiled without support for any audio
> frameworks (typical linux has ALSA, Pulse and OSS).

Nick - I also run fedora 20.  You probably have the binary packages, but
not the corresponding -devel packages installed.  If you're building from
source, the configure files won't detect the presence of either alsa or
pulseaudio due to missing header files, despite having run-time alsa and
pulseaudio capability. Which sounds exactly like what you're describing.

Cheers,
-Bob Arendt