[mythtv-users] scheduler confusion

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 09:11:18 UTC 2014

Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> But, as the devs have told us, the scheduler is not perfect.  It can
> and does make mistakes in certain situations.  Here in New Zealand up
> until a few months ago, we had only three multiplexes transmitting.  I
> have three DVB-T tuners in my box, so there should not have been any
> way for any programs to not be recorded.  But the scheduler did
> sometimes manage to assign two different physical tuners to the same
> multiplex at the same time, despite there being enough multirec tuners
> that it could have used the same physical tuner.  And then it ran out
> of physical tuners when I needed to record from all three multiplexes
> simultaneously.
>
> The solution suggested by one of the devs was to use the powerpriority
> table as the OP is doing.  Here is what I am using:
>
> mysql> select * from powerpriority;
> | priorityname         | recpriority | selectclause                                          |
> | TVNZ multiplex       |          20 | channel.mplexid=2 and cardinputid in (1,2,3,4,5)      |
> | Mediaworks multiplex |          20 | channel.mplexid=3 and cardinputid in (11,12,13,14,15) |
> | Kordia multiplex     |          20 | channel.mplexid=4 and cardinputid in (6,7,8,9,10)     |

Which is **VERY** different to selecting tuners in your recording rules and isn't related to the OPs problem. As Mike points out, there are simpler ways around the issue. All I can say is that I've never observed a conflict caused by the scheduler using both of my physical tuners for the same mux (we have 5 muxes available here*, and I have 2 physical tuners).

* Being pedantic, there is a 6th, but that's using DVB-T2 and I don't have a tuner for it, and nor can my frontend manage HD playback.

When the OP comes back with the missing information, then someone will be in a position to offer advice.