[mythtv-users] pulseaudio ate my frontend!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 11:11:56 UTC 2014

On 06/08/14 10:46, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> My 6 year old Gentoo install has just had pulseadio-5.0 installed so that
> Skype-4.3 can be used as 4.2 is not longer supported (thanks Microsoft!!).
>
> Up until now I had managed to avoid pulse as alsa provided everything I
> wanted. Now I've got all sorts of problems.
>
>   * On the frontend, I rescan and select the pulse default and then can't
> exit the selection field unless I press ESC. ALSA:pulse is selectable but
> produces no sound. Working my way down the list, nothing works**
>
>   * A Burr-Brown PCM2702 USB equipped FM transmitter used to work great as
> a totally separate output from a script running random music from mpg123
> so I didn't have to listen to adverts on my alarm clock in the mornings.
> pacmd lists the device but it doesn't appear in either the pavcontrol or
> kmix mixer controls.
>
>   * I used to have separate volume controls + mute for front and side
> outputs so I could have speakers on one and Skype handset on the other,
> now they are always active together and no clue on how to split them!
>
> Cheers
>

> ** reinstalling pulseaudio seems to have fixed that one but I'd like my
> private radio station back at least!!

I can't help with your Myth problem but as a data point I could not get my
dedicated Skype box to output audio at all unless I installed pulse.

I'm not there at the moment so I can't tell you what Skype version, but the box
is a standard Debian Wheezy install. Finding the correct audio meant testing
every single input and output through the pulse control panel.

--

Mike Perkins