[mythtv-users] pulseaudio ate my frontend!

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Aug 6 09:46:29 UTC 2014

Greetings all

My 6 year old Gentoo install has just had pulseadio-5.0 installed so that
Skype-4.3 can be used as 4.2 is not longer supported (thanks Microsoft!!).

Up until now I had managed to avoid pulse as alsa provided everything I
wanted. Now I've got all sorts of problems.

 * On the frontend, I rescan and select the pulse default and then can't
exit the selection field unless I press ESC. ALSA:pulse is selectable but
produces no sound. Working my way down the list, nothing works**

 * A Burr-Brown PCM2702 USB equipped FM transmitter used to work great as
a totally separate output from a script running random music from mpg123
so I didn't have to listen to adverts on my alarm clock in the mornings.
pacmd lists the device but it doesn't appear in either the pavcontrol or
kmix mixer controls.

 * I used to have separate volume controls + mute for front and side
outputs so I could have speakers on one and Skype handset on the other,
now they are always active together and no clue on how to split them!

Cheers

** reinstalling pulseaudio seems to have fixed that one but I'd like my
private radio station back at least!!

--
Robin Gilks