[mythtv-users] 14.04 clean

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 16:23:36 UTC 2014

On Aug 3, 2014 10:06 AM, "Thomas Boehm" <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net>
wrote:

> On 02/08/14 21:32, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> > Greetings mythizens, I need help getting over the first hurdle of a
> > clean install of myth on 14.04. After searching the error I got in the
> > database setup I followed directions which resulted in the following:
> >
> > daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ mysql -u root -p
> > Enter password:
> > Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> > Your MySQL connection id is 162
> > Server version: 5.5.38-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 (Ubuntu)
> >
> > Copyright (c) 2000, 2014, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
reserved.

> > Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
> > affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
> > owners.
> >
> > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
> > statement.
> >
> > mysql>  create user 'mythtv'@'%' identified by 'mythtv';
> > ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation CREATE USER failed for 'mythtv'@'%'
> > mysql> create user 'mythtv'@'localhost' identified by 'mythtv';
> > ERROR 1396 (HY000): Operation CREATE USER failed for 'mythtv'@
'localhost'
> > mysql>  connect mythconverg;
> > Reading table information for completion of table and column names
> > You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
> >
> > Connection id:    163
> > Current database: mythconverg
> >
> > mysql> grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'%' with grant option;
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> >
> > mysql>  grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' with grant
> > option;
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> >
> > mysql> flush privileges;
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> >
> > mysql> exit
> > Bye
> >
> > What am I missing/ / What can I do next? its a loop when I try to set up
> > the BE and I can't get into the deep settings, just the first couple
> > pages and then back to the country of origin screen.
>
> I never needed to do any of the above when I set up a new mythtv system.
> Why do you think this is necessary? The installation of mythtv from the
> mythbuntu repos usually takes care of everything.
>
> And why do you want to give the user mythtv all rights on ALL databases?
> Only mythconverg is used for mythtv. It's like doing "chmod -R 777 /"

After installing, from Software Center I couldn't get past the "loop" and
searching the error message that showed up after trying to run
mythfilldatabase suggested trying those commands. Maybe it didn't install
properly from SC, there was a freeze half way through the process, I opened
a second SC and got the process going again. Would "sudo apt-get install
MythTV" be the command to reinstall?
Daryl