[mythtv-users] sometimes livetv starts with blank screen

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 03:58:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Kevin,
>
> Thursday, July 31, 2014, 8:44:22 PM, you wrote:
>

> > What kind of tuner(s), what is the procedure used to tune, does it always
> >  tune OK for recordings etc etc etc.
> >  You give very little information. So it becomes a guessing game.
> >

> >  Tot mails,
> >    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
> >
> >  "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> >  Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> >  Het eeuwige dilemma
> >  Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
> >
> Another important question is whether it's a fresh install that never
> properly functioned or dit you change/upgrade something after which
> the problem occurred.
> A fresh install would suggest you forgot to configure some part
> properly or maybe you forgot part of the firmware needed. That can
> cause all kind of tuning problems.
> An upgrade (software or hardware) could have caused a conflict
> somewhere, so check your boot logs for errors.
> I don't know the hdhr prime so I can't help you on that, but if I'm
> correct there is a lot of info in the wiki about setting it up. Have
> you read that.
> What I meant with 'how do you tune' are there scripts etc involved
> that need proper configuration. Did you maybe misstype somewhere?
> Most live-tv issues have been solved in the versions you say you
> using, but your front and backend versions are not the same. Although
> improbable, because they are almost the same, maybe there lies a
> problem.
>
> So without more info, it is just guessing.
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Things started happening about 2 months ago. I had to upgrade my zotac
frontend because
something in the zotac machine was no longer supported with 12.04.  So I
changed that system to 14.04  Clean fresh install of mythbuntu.  Then I
enabled the fixes and upgraded to the latest version available at that time.
I then upgraded my other frontend and the backend to the latest fixes
available at that time.  They are still running 12.04.

After that I noticed that the 12.04 frontend was locking up on livetv like
it did in the past.  After a few days of checking various things, I ended
up changing the backend. I changed the disk scheduler from balanced disk
i/o to
combination.  I also greatly increased the buffer.  Dont know the exact
amount off the top of my head.  Since I have done that, I no longer
experienced the stalls on livetv.

Regarding the current issue.
I opened the hdhr config utility while the frontend was not displaying a
picture.  The hdhr config utility showed that a channel was tuned and
working.  If I clicked on view, the picture then displays in vlc.

So from what I have gathered so far.  Mythtv is telling the tuner to tune a
channel.  The tuner is opening that channel and playing it.  The picture is
not making it from the hdhr tuner to the 12.04 frontend for some reason.

The backend and the frontends are all currently on version.
 2:0.27.3+fixes