[mythtv-users] Mythburn not working

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Apr 29 21:31:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 16:29 -0400, Joseph DeGraw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have finally got some free time (and the wife yelling at me) to start
> tackling my problem with making DVD's from recorded shows. Seems this
> has been an on going issue for some time. So, Here we go:
>
> Burning a DVD stalls out with no error messages in any of the logs. Some
> tv shows do actually burn to dvd. The only thing that I have figured out
> is that the shows that do burn to DVD thru Mythtv are somewhat small in
> size i.e. about 1 gig or less - Seems to be a non HD recording. HD
> recordings usually fail. There is no error message in the logs or on the
> display. They just sit there with no activity.
>
> I would sit down and troubleshoot this but I dont even know where to
> start since I get no errors that I can find in any of the logs. The
> script for resizing the dvd runs and then after a bit it seems to freeze
> and never get to the point of burning the dvd. At one point I thought I
> had this fixed but --- nope. So, Im completely at a loss on this. There
> are some HD movies - about 2 hours long that fail. I was hoping that
> these movies/shows which are probably 4 gigs in size should burn to a
> dvd no problem.
>
> Well, Any input on this is welcome. Im running Mythbuntu 12.04  / Mythtv
> .27-fixes, 64bit.

mytharchive/mythburn.py creates log files in the same place it creates
temp & final output files etc
This location is configured in FE setup for mytharchive.
I get sub-folders named work/logs/config.

I have found extracting failed cmds from the log file (& executing
directly) is a good way to find (& fix?) problems.

Creating your own dvd profiles (in users /home/.mythtv/MythArchive/)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythArchive#How_do_I_add_my_own_encoding_parameters_to_the_encoding_profiles.3F
allows you to easily try alt. settings & short test runs (first to an
ISO file) by adding:
<parameter name="-t"  value="00:01:30"/>