[mythtv-users] Plex.tv versus MythTV

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Apr 25 15:53:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 04:59:19AM +0930, Mark Perkins wrote:

> > On 25 Apr 2014, at 12:18 am, "jedi" <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >
> >    Kind of sort of but not quite.
> >
> >    MythTV supports a superset of features supported by Plex.
>
> As you point out yourself below, MythTV does not support a superset of features supported by Plex.
>
> Plex is all about serving your media to whatever you want, wherever you want. It can real time transcode to very low bitrates so that you can pick up your phone and continue watching that episode of Breaking Bad that you started last night, while on the bus to work. I've previously asked about using MythTV over WiFi networks and was told even that was not recommended.
>
> Plex allows you to sync content to your iOS device so you can play it back later off-line. I'm not sure but think there might be

    That's an Apple problem.

    Android devices all allow me to just "download" stuff and watch it where ever
or when ever I like. Stuff I transcoded with no consideration for any Smart Phone
"just works" despite the fact that such devices are newer than the content in
question.

    Beyond that, being your own little Pirate Bay has other implications.

[deletia]