[mythtv-users] My upgrade from 32-bit Mythbuntu 12.04 to 64-bit 14.04

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:32:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Ubuntu 14.04 is faster than 12.04 ?

"It depends".  Various kernel/subsystems have been
improved and optimized over time.  That same interval
has added feature bloat for some subsystems.

> 2) 64-bit Ubuntu is faster than 32-bit ?

"It depends".  64 bit arch can be faster due to various
enhancements such as additional available registers,
and various processor optimizations.  However, the
code can be larger, increasing demands on the cache
or memory subsystem, and slowing things down.

> 3) 4GB Ubuntu is faster than 2GB Ubuntu, even if there's no swapping ?

"It depends".  Some features/subsystems will take
advantage of the additional memory for caching.
The most obvious example is the (disk) block
buffer cache, which would probably be observed
in faster mysql performance.  That same increased
buffer cache can also result in longer delays for
sync operations (more cached data to flush).

And then there is the possibility that a "clean
install" also removed some extraneous subsystems
that were using resources.

And then there is the possibility that you want it
to make a difference, so it does).

The bottom line is that you changed so much,
it is hard to say anything for sure.  However,
all things being equal (and they never are),
64 bits is often better.