[mythtv-users] getting to the GRUB in time...

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 18:27:00 UTC 2014

Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:

> What I meant was, what does it _LOOK_LIKE_ when I need to press the ESC key, or how can I slow down the loading so that I can see the GRUB in time?
> i.e.: What does it look like, WHEN I need to press ESC.

Try https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays
but also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 (near the bottom).

It can take different appearances, and it may be skipped altogether depending on the config. So the simple answer is that it looks like how it's configured to look on your system ! My (rather old) Muthbuntu FE is like in the first of those links (but without the background picture)

> It just seems as if EITHER no Boot Loader appears on my installation of MythBuntu or if it appears, it goes so fast that I can't press ESC at the correct time.
>
> I'm betting that the boot loader appears on a hypothetical screen during the time that the actual screen goes blank and goes into the HDMI/HDTV viewing mode for MythTV.

Ah, in that case it may be a matter of trial and error. Wait till all the "BIOS stuff" has gone by and start pressing Esc.

> Could the GRUB be accessed via <F10>, <F-this> or <F-that> during the boot process?

'Fraid not

> What about as a part of the Intel BIOS configuration software "thingee"?

It comes after that.