[mythtv-users] Forgot password; Choose door A, B or C?

Leif Pihl leif at pihl.us
Thu Apr 24 16:54:29 UTC 2014

Arrrrrrg!!!!

I have a "MythTV box" that I have not used for some time, partly out of frustration with not making it work, and partly out of time constraints to GET it to work.

Now, when I want to get back to fixing or overhauling it, I can't find the keyboard I was using.
THAT keyboard likely (but not certainly) had a sticker on it with my password for my MythTV install, and maybe even for the Ubuntu OS as well.

Can't find it.

It also seems that my file where I normally store my passwords, does have an entry for MythBuntu, but I never filled in the slots.

ARRRRRRG!!!!!

I did open a terminal window and entered the command "lsb_release -a" and got the following response:
   Distributor ID: Ubuntu
   Release:  12.04
   Codename:  precise

My memory (failed as it is), tells me that I did an upgrade to MythTV/MythBuntu to 0.27.

Obviously, I've not done the recent upgrade made possible by Ubuntu's release of 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr).

so...

#============================================================
||    ***  THE QUESTION: ***
||   Am I better off to pick door:
||   (A) 	wipe the HD clean (no significant collection of videos), do a format and re-install from scratch,
||   (B) 	do a re-install of the OS without a format, and _MAYBE_ recover what videos there were  or
||   (C) 	do some other sort of a "hack" to get around my password(s) issue(s).
#============================================================

What follows is strictly BACKGROUND INFORMATION,
just in case it should be deemed relevant...

Keep in mind:
(1) 	There are likely some drivers or setting that I would (have) like(d) to record/recover.
(2) 	I am still very much a ROOKIE at Linux,    but then again,
(3) 	One learns by doing.

I had a real struggle finding and installing the correct drivers for both of my Tuner cards (see below) .
I MAY or may NOT have notes on how to re-do that part again.

-----
The Hardware:
Intel DH77KC motherboard,
   (using on-board video hardware)
   Video output going to a 40" HDTV, using HDMI cables,
Intel i3-3240 C5U (LGA115) CPU,
a pair of Kingston memory sticks: “KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G”
   (I understand this pair equals 16GB of RAM together)
and a refurbished 1TB HD from one of the big names.

Also included would be two different Hauppage tuner cards,
   the first Tuner card is a HVR-2250 (connected to CATV with NO converter box)
      (It includes a IR remote control I've never been able to make work.
       The only identifier is a sticker on the back that says "RC6".)
   the second Tuner card is a HVR-1800 (connected to an attic Antenna).

NOTE:  Since the original configuration was done, I went to our Comcast office and traded in a unused NTSC converter box for one that is labeled:
   Xfinity
   Model: DC60Xu
   Part: C138337810
   FCC ID: NQ80DC60XU
      It also has a Serial Number, Unit Identifier and a MAC Address associated with it.
      This (small) box (and remote) are directly connected to the HDTV, and NOT to the MythTV box.
-----

LP
.