[mythtv-users] mythtv netflix hack

Gregory Schade gmschade at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 22:19:12 UTC 2014

On 04/23/2014 01:55 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:

> <mailto:gmschade at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 04/23/2014 01:15 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:

>>     <mailto:gmschade at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>         On 04/23/2014 12:26 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:
>>         > Hi,
>>         >
>>         > This looks awesome
>>         > I'm going to test this setup as soon as I can find some
>>         spare time.
>>         >
>>         > Rob
>>         >
>>         >
>>         Once I got it all setup on the desktop, and moved it to the
>>         mythtv
>>         system in the living room it went pretty quick. except for
>>         silverlight
>>         crashing constantly --see my first thing of problems I have
>>         ran into--
>>
>>         p.s. sorry if my website is running a little slow. I have
>>         been having
>>         some problems on my end recently and just got the bugs that
>>         broke stuff
>>         figured out but now apache is running slow.
>>
>>         Greg
>>

>>     Great work, am looking at the results at the moment.
>>
>>     I have netflix running with a wine-firefox solution. Does your
>>     solution not require Wine? Is it running natively on ubuntu?
>>
>>     Regards,
>>
>>     Andréas

>     it uses the pipelight
>     http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html solution. Best
>     description is that just the silverlight plugin is run in wine.
>     The Firefox is the native linux. My experience with it is that it
>     takes much less system overhead, in fact it will use VDPAU for
>     some of the decoding off load I don't know how much tho. This was
>     a game changer for my living room. my box wasn't powerful enough
>     to run netflix before the pipelight plugin.
>     Greg

> Very interesting indeed. I'll have to give it a try. I can run netflix
> on my machine via firefox in wine, but I love the idea of a 10ft
> interface that can run netflix!
>
> Regards,
>
> Andréas

One other thing of note, with regards to using the native Linux Firefox
is that I had to write a wrapper script to perform some actions after
Firefox exited. It meerly loops 1 a second to check if Firefox has a
pid. I don't know enough about running the whole thing in wine to know
if a simple wrapper script like the one I wrote would work.