[mythtv-users] FEs have high CPU and memory usage

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Wed Apr 23 18:28:49 UTC 2014

On 4/21/2014 7:27 PM, John Finlay wrote:
> All are running Mythbuntu 12.04 with fixes/0.27. Two are Nvidia ION
> based systems and the third is an AMD dual core with an Nvidia 210.
> These are dedicated to Mythtv so I haven't installed anything beyond
> the basic distro and the Nvidia driver.
>
> If I restart mythfrontend it initially runs with about 2% CPU and 13%
> memory when idle. When I play a recording it runs at 18% CPU and 20%
> memory. While browsing the recordings the memory usage rises to 40%
> which I presume is the result of loading all the coverart and fanart
> images.

After monitoring my FEs for a few days I have noticed that the CPU usage
jumps from 2-3% to 30-60% when mythfrontend is in standby mode and the
BE is recording. So far it appears the the CPU usage returns to normal
when the BE finishes recording. It may be that the mythfrontend gets
stuck at a high CPU usage because of this situation but I haven't seen
that yet.

John