[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: HDTC-2US Homerun and OTA tuning

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:26:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM,  <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I want one, but primarily for the auto transcode.
> I was hoping this feature would be supported in Myth
> with commercial scan and the other bells and whistles.

No personal experience (waiting for the CC model to
get announced), but....

I seem to recall that the latest firmware (beta) was
claimed to be able to set transcoding for all recordings,
so, in theory, MythTV could be ignorant of that capability
(with the restriction that no multi-rec could be used,
since there are only two transcoders in the box.)
It is possible that that feature is not yet fully ready
for prime (or soap opera) time.

I do not think anyone would be surprised to find
that the commercial detection is different after
transcoding (depending on the encoder, some
of the hints may be different/obscured), but until
someone takes the plunge and tries it, and does
a head-to-head comparision (OTA vs transcoded
OTA) there is no way to know (if better, worse, or
about the same).  Why not take the plunge (and
report)?