[mythtv-users] Device name for dvd drive in archive and video settings

Bob Shanteau rmshant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 05:07:28 UTC 2014

On 4/19/2014 5:23 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Sunday, April 20, 2014, 2:19:45 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I just installed MythBuntu 14.04 on a spare machine and am having a hard time with setting up the device name to use for MythArchive and for Videos. I have had intermittent success in the past on my production MythBuntu 12.04, but I cannot replicate those settings now even with
>> either machine.
>>
>> When I enter /dev/sr0 in Setup->MythArchive Settings->Location of DVD, I can burn a DVD but not eject it.
>>
>> When I try entering /dev/sr0 in Setup->Video Settings->Player Settings->>DVD Drive, I cannot play a video. I've also had no luck with /dev/cdrom, /dev/dvd, etc.
>>
>> I know I have to exit MythTV and explore my file system to find the  device name the system is using, but I'm afraid I don't know how.
> This could very well have to do with group membership of cdrom. Are
> the device owned by it and are the users member?

The problem turned out to be that the DVD drives in my MythTV machines
were not recognizing the DVD-RW disks I was using. I had a bunch of
flaky disks. Fortunately I have DVDRW drives on 4 machines, so if a disk
does not work in one drive I can try all the others before I decide it's
bad and throw it away. Once I find a drive that recognizes a disk, I
find that if I burn a movie to it, then it will usually work again in
the other drives. I just had one of my DVDRW drives go bad, so maybe
that was writing bad info to the disks.

Unfortunately, when I inserted a disk and the system did not recognize
it, MythTV did not tell me that. Of course, once a disk is recognized,
an icon will appear on the MythBuntu desktop. But if it is not, then no
icon will appear.

Anyway, I changed the settings in MythTV back to /dev/dvd in both
MythArchive and Video setup and all is OK now. Even ejecting the disk in
MythArchive is working! (It hasn't always.)

Bob Shanteau