[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu trusty?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:46:52 UTC 2014

On 4/18/14, 3:17 PM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 4/18/14, 1:13 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:
>> I have production systems
>> that I'll only consider upgrading after I'm *really* sure they'll remain
>> fully stable.
>> But, I'm also not one to wait until the very last day of EOL for the
>> older version.
> Yeah, somewhere in the middle probably makes sense.  But EOL isn't for
> another three years, so no rush there.   I'm a strong proponent of the
> "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" mantra.
>

>> Oops, correction, four systems. The fifth threw a HD badly. Total
>> failure, dreaded clank-clank failure. When I get a replacement HD, it'll
>> go on 14.04 and continue as a test system.
> Make sure you're doing *active* (passive + scheduled self-tests)
> monitoring of HD health with smartmontools for any system you care
> about.  Have it email you in case of pending failure while you're at it.
>  You'll be much less likely to be surprised.
>

> -WD

I do just that. This failure was an immediate failure, failing in the
middle of the night.
Lost a bunch of recordings, as it was an NFS store for temporary use as
I was doing some file maintenance, but nothing that can't be easily
replaced.
SMART is nice, but it can't predict a controller failure, which I've
either had a controller failure or a head preamp failure, to judge by
the drive's behavior. As the drive does seek, but hits its stops, I'm
thinking preamp. Not that it's likely I'd bother with servicing the
controller board.