[mythtv-users] How do I insert a linefeed in a Custom Record Rule?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 15 18:17:15 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 01:55 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> My advice stands.  I know SQL pretty well /and/ I know the internal workings of MythTV and a lot about its scheduler, and I never use MythWeb to create Custom Rules.  I recommend others do the same--use mythfrontend to create the rule, after which light editing in MythWeb is fine.
> Your choice, personally I disagree with it - but your system, your choice, I'm not going to tell you that you should use MythWeb (or that you shouldn't).
>
> But, if you go back and read what I actually wrote, I suggested that having edited (or created) a rule then they should *TEST* it. Break the rule you've just done, go back and fix it/disable it/delete it so that things do work. Unless the Scheduler is very badly open to accidental SQL injections that damage stuff (which I couldn't see a novice doing by accident), then once the rule is fixed the scheduler should pick up and schedule things properly.

One of the ones I helped a user find and fix did not cause any problems
when he wrote it, but broke the scheduler days later when the listings
changed (this is what I meant when I said, "the effects/brokenness may
not be immediately visible").

> Now if neither MythWeb nor the scheduler doesn't filter even the most basic stuff (like ";", "DROP" "DELETE") then I think there are far more serious issues than whether someone uses MythWeb or the Frontend to edit rules.

Well, we don't do that, but if you have someone accessing your system
maliciously, there are lots of easier ways for them to break it, so I
suppose that's just one of many far more serious issues.

Mike