[mythtv-users] Problem with boot time system lockup on new install of Mythbuntu 12.04

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 15:08:36 UTC 2014

Hoi Hika,

> Hoi Craig,

> Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 4:27:18 PM, you wrote:

>> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hoi Craig,
>>>
>>> It could well be that your system initialisation is to slow for some
>>> of the deamons. I'm surprised you had a deamon for a usb device in the
>>> boot runlevel. Try moving all deamons in the boot level not essential
>>> for basic system initialisation to the default level. So giving your
>>> system more time to initialise.
>>>
>> Hika, I don't understand what you mean about the boot runlevel.  The
>> device daemon script is stored in /etc/init.d/iguanaIR, but that is
>> referenced by a link in /etc/rc2.d/S##iguanaIR that points to
>> /etc/init.d/iguanaIR.  The script doesn't get started until the system
>> is entering runlevel 2.  Does that clarify the misunderstanding?

>> --
>> Craig.

> If I am correct with the naming on your system S means the
> boot/sysinit runlevel,one of the numbered is the default multiuser
> runlevel. But you can find that convention on internet. On my (gentoo)
> system they are more friendly named boot and default.
> When a system boots it first runs the scripts/services in the sysinit
> level then in the boot level resulting in a basically functional
> system. Then the default or also called multiuser level ( there also
> is a singleuser lever for debugging etc) is run. If I remember
> correctly the scripts start with a two digit number, organising the
> order of execution.
> My guess is one of your services in the bootlevel needs some driver
> being initialised properly first, which sometimes isn't. The crashing
> service won't probably show on your init screen, so you could mark out
> the ones already having showed up at the moment of the crash.
> One solution would be moving the drivers in kernel, making them
> initialise faster, but that means compiling a new kernel.
> Usually usb and asb devices are last to initialise and any service
> depending on them being present should not run in the bootlevel.

One other possibility is that drivers/services sometimes get loaded in
the wrong order.
You could also try disconnecting all non essential devices and see if
it then always boots properly. Then try adding them one by one and in
different combinations. It's a lot of work, but if you don't have a
log... Some people can read the crashdump, if you have one. I probably
won't.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven