[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:05:33 UTC 2014

Hoi Eric,

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's the penalty - you "lose" half your space.
>> No you pay double for the same space! And if you have several drives
>> running, you're sure to encounter drive loss at some time!
>> For me, for a workstation, that's acceptable. Not for data I do not
>> want to lose!

> For data I don't want to lose, I make backups.  Raid doesn't help
> protect you against many forms of data loss and can't replace a
> sensible backup policy.

> That said, TV recordings do not rise to the level of "data I do not
> want to lose" compared with the cost of paying significantly more for
> storage hardware (double for raid 1, or somewhat less for raid 5) and
> additional administration complexity.  If I lose some shows, so be it.
>  Most stuff will be rebroadcast soon enough, or can be legally
> acquired through other means for less than the cost of doubling the
> storage array.

> Eric

True, it is always a risk versus cost analysis (both cost in money and
in time).
That said it isn't just the data and raid doesn't say you shouldn't
backup important data. It is the first line. But backup media also
cost and the recovery time with raid, is in effect immediately. If
your system drive is affected rebuilding/restoring from backup takes
much longer, 2 days up to a week, while your system can't record.
Unless of cause you can promote a SBE to (temporarily) master and you
only have to restore the database.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven