[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 14:41:55 UTC 2014

On 04/13/2014 10:26 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Joseph,
>
> Sunday, April 13, 2014, 4:19:39 PM, you wrote:

>>> I have a system at work like that - an old Dell rackmount server with SCSI drives. Every now and then it'll spit it's dummy out and declare one or more drives as failed. Then I have the fun of forcing the arrays back together again and it'll run fine for ${random_long_period}.

>>> You're actually better off not using RAID for this application, both for performance and for resilience.
>>>
>>> Performance wise, you are better off with two separate drives. Add both into Myth and it will load-share between them.
>>> Resiliency wise, as you've found, a striped set will lose you all your data when any drive in the array fails. Keep them as separate drives and you only lose the data on that drive.

>>> It should be possible to fix it from the Busybox prompt - it'll just be harder to do. The point of dropping to the Busybox prompt is to give you at least some basic tools with which to fix the system - which is better than most other systems I've used which "just fail" and leave you with nothing (not fun when it's a system the whole company relies on !) From there, you should be able to mount your root volume (even if not as /) and get access to the various tools you need. Sometimes, speaking from experience, it's just a matter of fscking a filesystem that needs a little fixing more than the automatic flags will do at boot time.
>>>

>> Good point. I didnt realize that. Storage groups are a good thing. Now I
>> know why they are setup like they are.
>> Probably today I will break up the raid into separate disks.
>> My wife is pretty pissed at me right now. I lost all her soaps and LMN
>> movies. :(
>> Not a good day for me!
>> Joseph
> Do you really need 4Tb for recordings? You could consider putting them
> in raid1. That way a drive failure won't cost you your data. With
> raid1 reading is faster since it is spread over the two drives.
> I have never had speed issues with my raid1 array.
>

> Tot mails,
>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

I had a great Mythtv setup once. Then my wife discovered it and probably
95 percent of everything on it is her recordings. She records all kinds
of "Ladies programs".  I barely have room to record my own. Its gotten
so bad that I had to install a ceton 4 tuner card to keep up with her
stuff. All this Lifetime Movie Network movies, Soaps and reality shows -
She has taken over my mythtv! :) So, Yes I do need 4tb believe it or
not. Its gotten to the point now that it remains full of her shows and
has to delete shows to make room for newer recordings - LOL!

So, My saying - "I WANT MY MYTHTV!" Has taken a different meaning.
Perhaps I should start a seperate BE for just me - lol,,,

Joseph