[mythtv-users] HELP! I want my mythtv!

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 14:26:51 UTC 2014

Hoi Joseph,

Sunday, April 13, 2014, 4:19:39 PM, you wrote:

> On 04/13/2014 05:39 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
>> Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I had ones a fake failure on one of my raid1 arrays. Checking the
>>> drive showed nothing and after re-adding it is still running for more
>>> then a year.
>> I have a system at work like that - an old Dell rackmount server with SCSI drives. Every now and then it'll spit it's dummy out and declare one or more drives as failed. Then I have the fun of forcing the arrays back together again and it'll run fine for ${random_long_period}.
>>

>> Joseph DeGraw <coffee412 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> But I got the new drive in and reconstructed a new raid and things are now running good.
>> You're actually better off not using RAID for this application, both for performance and for resilience.
>>
>> Performance wise, you are better off with two separate drives. Add both into Myth and it will load-share between them.
>> Resiliency wise, as you've found, a striped set will lose you all your data when any drive in the array fails. Keep them as separate drives and you only lose the data on that drive.
>>
>>> Well, I think the point that did apply to my situation is that when you have a failing raid that is not part of the actual operating system (i.e. its a data array only) the operating system should still be able to boot with a failed raid. Not being able to boot the operating system puts you in a bad situation in that you have to jump thru alot more hoops to get things fixed.
>> It should be possible to fix it from the Busybox prompt - it'll just be harder to do. The point of dropping to the Busybox prompt is to give you at least some basic tools with which to fix the system - which is better than most other systems I've used which "just fail" and leave you with nothing (not fun when it's a system the whole company relies on !) From there, you should be able to mount your root volume (even if not as /) and get access to the various tools you need. Sometimes, speaking from experience, it's just a matter of fscking a filesystem that needs a little fixing more than the automatic flags will do at boot time.
>>

> Good point. I didnt realize that. Storage groups are a good thing. Now I
> know why they are setup like they are.

> Probably today I will break up the raid into separate disks.

> My wife is pretty pissed at me right now. I lost all her soaps and LMN
> movies. :(

> Not a good day for me!

> Joseph

Do you really need 4Tb for recordings? You could consider putting them
in raid1. That way a drive failure won't cost you your data. With
raid1 reading is faster since it is spread over the two drives.
I have never had speed issues with my raid1 array.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop