[mythtv-users] dp_backups

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 02:58:11 UTC 2014

Hoi Daryl,

Sunday, April 13, 2014, 4:32:21 AM, you wrote:

> Thanks Alistair, do you know if Bittorrent will renew the sync each
> week as my backups rotate?

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Greetings Mythizens, I run a combined FE/BE with a 1TB drive, record
>>> watch delete (keep very little). As of June 1st I will need somewhere
>>> else to keep a cloud copy of my db_backups, any suggestions? I tried
>>> DropBox but when the new backup comes in and the old out DropBox does
>>> not sync like Ubuntu One has been doing for me so far. Or is there
>>> another way to send a copy of the db_backup folder (and keep it
>>> sync'd) to a different drive in my LAN?     Daryl
>>
>> If you're not worried about having a copy of your data off site,
>> BitTorrent Sync (http://www.bittorrent.com/sync) can be used to keep
>> folders in sync across multiple devices in your home - kind of like a
>> private cloud at home.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair
You could also have a look at unison
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
It's based on the rsync protocol and works both directly from
directory to directory or over ssh. There is a gtk graphical frontend
and it runs both under Linux an Windows.
It hasn't been actively maintained for some time but as they say:
"However, the original developers are still using Unison daily."
I use it mainly to sync thing on my laptop to the network.
When syncing you can name the mastercopy in case of conflicts. It also
deletes stuff on the slave, when deleted on the master.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop