[mythtv-users] the heartbleed openssl bug and mythtv

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Apr 9 19:47:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 15:33 -0400, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 3:12 PM, <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>         > Just a heads up that if you've made your mythbox accessible
>         from the
>         > outside via ssh or mythweb you may need to make sure your
>         system isn't
>         > affected by the recenlty discovered heartbleed security
>         hole.
>         >
>         >
>         http://serverfault.com/questions/587329/heartbleed-what-is-it-and-what-are-options-to-mitigate-it
>         >
>         > I'm currently running mythbuntu 12.04. Any tips to get
>         patched? Should I
>         > hope to 13.04 immediately?
>

>         apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
>         if you don't have automatic security updates enabled (which
>         you should).
>
>         Mine updated sometime between the 4th and today.
>
>         If you want to dist-upgrade wait until 14.04 is out in a few
>         more days.
> I did that earlier today and it's still OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012
> I do use TLS for some email alerts for the box.

This is the 3rd major security flaw in as many months. (iOS goto fail,
GnuTLS & openSSL)

All my 12.04LTS computers have received this openSSL update.
Do not hop to 13.04 , that is dead.

As mentioned by Yan, you need to enable security updates repositories.
Do this in synaptic package manager (settings/repositories: tab
"Updates").