[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:19:24 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:

> On 07/04/14 15:06, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
>> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 06/04/14 23:15, John Pilkington wrote:
>>
>>       DLNA access now works via the Plex plugin after I set
>>
>>         all eth+ devices as trusted, and the TV now plays DVB-T recordings
>>         converted to mpeg2-ps, which fail with the Myth DLNA server.
>>           Perhaps
>>         because of the Panasonic device profile in Plex?
>>
>>         They play in Firefox on my SL6 laptop,too.
>>
>>         John
>>

>>     ... but in both modes it's CPU intensive and HD playback stutters.
>>     It seems to be doing real-time transcoding, which shouldn't be
>>     needed, IIUC, at least for DLNA.  When Myth does that, it does it
>>     with no sweat.  Back to reading the instructions...
>>

>> Transcoding is CPU intensive. The format of the recording file is
>> dictated by the source, not MythTV. MythTV doesn't care if it is MPEG2,
>> MPEG4, h.264... If your BE is not powerful enough to do realtime
>> transcoding, you may need to setup a post recording job that transcodes
>> all recordings to a client friendly format.
>>
>> -Tom
>>

> Agreed; but all these recordings are already in a format that my TV will
> play via DLNA, if suitably presented, *without* any transcoding.
>
> For example, mpeg2-ps presented by the MythTV DLNA server as a Myth
> 'recording' hangs at 'please wait'.  If presented via a softlink as a
> 'video' it plays fine - but with no display of elapsed time, and from a
> very long menu.  I hoped that Plex might work around that but, as I have it
> at present, it doesn't.
>
> Thanks, though.
>
> John

Are there installation instructions for this somewhere? I hate to be
ignorant but I have no idea how to install this in Plex. I'm running a
dedicated VM for my media server that handles all my transcoding. For a
while I've gotten tv shows into Plex using Mythlink.pl to create
friendly-named symlinks that Plex can index appropriately but it's a bit
flaky. If I could automatically see recordings in Plex it would be
fantastic.

Usually I just drop a zip file in the plugins folder in Plex and configure
what files are needed, but I'm confused by the file layout on this page and
hope I'm just missing a readme file. MyPlex machine is Windows but I am
running PlexHomeTheater alongside MythTV on my dedicated FE if that helps.