[mythtv-users] Suggestions for mounting multiple drives where FEs use mplayer for MP4s

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 21:56:02 UTC 2014

Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> In order to make recordings (*.mpg and *.mp4) accessible on FEs where
> mplayer/smplayer are used for *.mp4s, I had been thinking of moving
> the mountpoints under a common parent like this:
>
> /dev/sdb1 /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/video1
> /dev/sdc1 /var/lib/mythtv/recordings/video2

No, don't do that !
If one of your drives fails to mount for whatever reason, the directory is still there. Thus MythTV will be quite happy stuffing new recordings into it - but this time they go into the much smaller parent directory. The effects of filling a filesystem up vary considerably with the location/content - filling your root directory is usually fatal and may cause serious filesystem damage, but even if /var is separate it still contains (by default) your MySQL database(s) which may well get badly corrupted.

I vaguely recall there is a program ... quick search, oh yes here it is :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
I believe this will create you a nice "human readable" directory of symlinks to all your recordings - ideal for access by non-Myth programs.