[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Sun Apr 6 20:05:30 UTC 2014

> On 06/04/14 16:47, Philip Isaacs wrote:
>

>> I also got my plugin working too. Once i changed the BE's IP address to
>> it's local network IP (from 127.0.0.1) it started working great. I wish
>> the developer had thought to put that in the plugin's notes (I spent a
>> few hours trying to get this to work) but I'm glad it's working now.
>>
>> Quick questions. Can PLEX and MythTV run on the same machine? Or so this
>> a bad idea. I've notice that when I stream the videos to my Roku they
>> play pretty badly and look bad. My guess it because PLEX is streaming
>> the video from another machine and then through the roku.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Floyd
>>

> I thought that this combination might offer me something via DLNA that the
> MythTV upnp server doesn't, but so far I have only seen it working on the
> FE/BE machine, where it plays MythTV recordings.  Maybe it would play
> videos too, but I suspect without the metadata extras.
>
> Although it's getting stuff from the Myth DB, (at the expected network
> address) I haven't yet seen any sign of a new upnp server on my TV, which
> the plex logs correctly identify.  The DLNA server port is 32469 and PMS
> (Plex Media Server) is http://127.0.0.1:32400.  Does that need changing
> too?  I haven't seen a tool for that.
>
> A quick test with mythbackend --noupnp seemed to stop playback on the Plex
> screen, but I need to check that again.  Are the two servers likely to
> conflict?
>
> John P

John,

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do, but the mythtv plex plugin
will probably not show up on DLNA, because it shows up in the channels
section of the plex server. I'm not sure if the channels section show up in
DLNA.

However plex as a server for DLNA is ok. It doesn't give to much
information unfortunately, but is ok. You should be able to run several
uPNP servers on the same server on different ports, because the DLNA
clients do an autodetect (hence plug and play).

If you are running the mythtv plex plugin, then you don't need upnp support
in mythbackend, because you are using the webapi on port 6544 instead.

Regards,

Andréas