[mythtv-users] MythTV / Plex plugin

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Sun Apr 6 18:51:08 UTC 2014

> On Sunday, April 6, 2014, Andréas Kühne <andreas at kuhne.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I got mine running now. The problem was that I didn't change the IP
>> address in the settings file before I started the plugin for the first
>> time. The system then used the IP 192.168.0.20 which my server isn't
>> running on.
>>
>> Check the log files which you should be able to find here :
>> https://plexapp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-FilesThere is a seperate directory for the plugins.
>>
>> If the plugin is connecting to the wrong IP, you can change that on the
>> MythTV recordings screen. There is a settings button. There you will get
>> the IP address, and mine now works.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer to a great plugin!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andreás

>>> ________________________________

>>> my
>>> >

>>> Do you have any remote FE's or only local FE/BE machine? Does your
>>> mythtv-setup use the actual IP address of your backend or 127.0.0.1
>>> (127.0.0.1 is just the shortcut for local host and will not get you to your
>>> backend from a remote machine)?
>>>
>>> If you have not previously had any remote FE's (ie your IP address in
>>> mythtv-setup is 127.0.0.1) you will need to modify your MythTV
>>> configuration and MySQL configuration to allow remote access (ie add the
>>> real local area network IP address to the config and add appropriate
>>> privileges in MySQL). I don't think MythWeb counts in this case because it
>>> is controlled by Apache most likely on the local
>>

> Hey guys,
>
> I also got my plugin working too. Once i changed the BE's IP address to
> it's local network IP (from 127.0.0.1) it started working great. I wish the
> developer had thought to put that in the plugin's notes (I spent a few
> hours trying to get this to work) but I'm glad it's working now.
>
> Quick questions. Can PLEX and MythTV run on the same machine? Or so this a
> bad idea. I've notice that when I stream the videos to my Roku they play
> pretty badly and look bad. My guess it because PLEX is streaming the video
> from another machine and then through the roku.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Floyd
>

> --
> because I can split the atom with a microphone

I am running my plexserver and mythtv server on the same machine. I don't
think that running both servers on the same machine is to much a strain on
a modern platform (mine is a 1st gen core i5 with 16GB RAM and alot of
disk). You shouldn't get to much degredation on your system either. I tried
it on my iPad over 3g, and I didn't think it was to bad. The problem is
that the mythtv stores it's files in mpeg2 format and I don't really know
if the plexserver transcodes the files before it serves it to the client
(but it should, I wouldn't have been able to watch the films on my ipad
over 3g otherwise).

Regarding changing the BE's IP address, that is actually a mythtv problem.
As soon as you want to run a frontend on a different machine (in this case
your plexserver), you have to set the IP address to the network address and
not to 127.0.0.1. It would have already been setup that way if you had
other frontends in your system.

Regards,

Andréas