[mythtv-users] Not sure why I'm getting a conflict with show on multiplex

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sun Apr 6 05:52:17 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 13:08:04 -0400, you wrote:

>> record

>> first
>> >>

>> >It's an HDHomerun 2 tuner model so it shows two real and two virtual
>> >tuners, 4 in total. (I think that's the proper way to say it.)
>> >
>> >To clarify, CTV is 9.1 and WGRZ and WGRZ-DT2 are 2.1 and 2.2 so
>> channelwise
>> >my issue is:
>> >
>> >9.1 - CTV News 600-700pm
>> >2.2 Green Acres 600-631pm
>> >2.1 NBC Nightly News 630-700pm
>> >2.2 Green Acres 630-701pm
>>
>> I have not looked up the HDHomerun, so I am assuming here that it is
>> an ATSC off-the-air type tuner.
>>
>> I think you just need to increase the number of multirec tuners you
>> have setup for each physical tuner.  The maximum is now 5 multirec
>> tuners.  Your problem is that at 6:30-6:31, you need three tuners on
>> the WGRZ multiplex at the same time.  The other physical tuner is
>> tuned to a different multiplex for CTV and can not be used for WGRZ at
>> that time, and the physical tuner assigned to WGRZ only has two
>> multirec tuners.
>>
>> So just run mythtv-setup and add more multirec tuners to each physical
>> tuner.  Unless you only have one hard drive to record to, setting it
>> up to the maximum of 5 will not cause problems.  If you have too few
>> hard drives for recordings and you get 10 multirec tuners recording at
>> once, you will get bad recordings from the drives not being able to
>> move their heads fast enough between the files being written for each
>> recording.  That results in missing data in the middle of all the
>> recordings.
>>

> Thanks for the tuner suggestion! Just increased it to 3 and I'm test
> recording 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and 29.1 and 29.2 as I type.
>
> In your case you have the ability to add virtual tuners but not everyone
does. For this specific situation where you have two showings back-to-back,
you could add an override schedule for the first showing and eliminate the
1 minute extra recording past the end (because the second showing will pick
up what you were going to record). I recall there was some developer talk
at one point that would record a "shared" overlap for back-to-back programs
and stick it onto each program when played back, but there hasn't been any
movement on that for several years.

Karl