[mythtv-users] Contemplating a major change

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:38:14 UTC 2014

On 4/5/14, 8:02 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 6 April 2014 05:46, Mike Carron <jmcarron at starstream.net> wrote:
>> The RAID volume is 4 2tb drives in a RAID1+0.
>>
> how safe do you want your recordings collection, and you don't need
> much IOPS for mythtv's recording either .
> So RAID10 is definitely massive waste of space, 50%
> Go RAID5, 25% waste only with 4 disks
>
> 250GB for /var is still in my opinion a total waste of space,
> resources and money.
>
> The /var of my production system is 10GB, and that's because I have
> 7GB in a /var/wwww.
> /var/lib is 1.6GB, for a mythtv database that hold 7TB of recordings
> over 6 years...
>
> If you're afraid of your log files going like crazy, then create a
> partition for /var/log ; don't need another disk for that.

/var/cache/apt/archives can chew up some real estate.

On one of my machines, I use a 64gig SSD for /, /tmp and /home are on
part of a platter.
Can't remember what problem I had, but I couldn't move /var of an
operational system to a platter, so it's living on the SSD. Plenty of
room on the HD and SSD.
My main reason I wanted /var off was not that important, it was largely
to get off some transient files, like apt files and logs. With limited
writes, it might cut the drive life by a couple of months at most.