[mythtv-users] Scanning for a particular channel (DVB-S)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 5 10:06:06 UTC 2014

On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 11:41:28 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have mythtv and my TV (via a built-in tuner) connected to my satellite
>dish. It does find a lot of channels during a full tuned channel scan -
>but not one particular channel I am looking for (and which is present on
>the TV). The web site says the channel is on Astra 19.2, Transponder
>103, 12,460.5 MHz, 27.5 MSyb/s, 3/4 FEC, unencrypted.
>
>I thus do a full tuned scan in mythtv backend with the following data:
>
>Frequency 12460500 (also tried 12460000)
>Polarity Horizontal
>Symbol Rate 27500000
>Mod Sys DVB-S
>FEC Auto (or 3/4)
>Modulation QPSK
>Inversion Auto
>Roll-off 0.35
>
>But I just get "no lock".
>
>Any hint what else I could try? The channel is present on the TV, so I
>should be able to see it.
>
>Thanks.

I have two DVB-S cards:

  TeVii S470 (PCIe)
  TBS 5922 (USB)

The TBS card can tune the HD multiplexes from my satellite provider,
but the TeVii card can not see them.  So maybe it is the same between
your DVB-S card and your TV.  My HD transponders are on these
frequencies:

  12267000 Hz
  12331000 Hz
  12358000 Hz

You could try scanning using other software such as scan, w_scan and
scan-s2 to see what your card can tune.

It is also possible that the transponder you want has a low signal
level.  So the signal level at your TV might be enough for its tuner,
but not for the DVB-S card, which might be less sensitive or have a
worse connection to the dish.