[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Mike Thomas mt3 at pfw.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 4 09:46:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:39:50 -0400
Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, it was a pretty simple fix after all. It did turn out to be a
> ground loop. I plugged both my PC and TV into the same outlet (via
> powerstrip) and the HUM went away. Now if I can only figure out how
> to make my PC quieter.
>
> Floyd

Dear Floyd,

I'm glad you found the source of the problem.

Making your PC quieter is another matter. I tried lots of things but
they were never much cop. Eventually I put my computer in a separate
room and used a CAT 6 HDMI extender. It was then I realised what a
mistake I had made... DVI and HDMI extenders seem to severely restrict
the video modes you can use, and quite independently they also bugger up
the already useless EDID from the TV. Hours of fun.

Yours,

Mike.