[mythtv-users] Updated mythbuntu theme version 28

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 4 09:43:28 UTC 2014

> But interesting that no one seems to have chimed in that the text size in 27.1 was too small. So to me, it seems like fixing something that wasn't broken. Also, worth pointing out that the text size in the Videos section remains the same as it was in 27.1. That's not to say that the Videos section should be increased too! But if the text is good for Videos, I would think it would be good for Recordings too.
>

> Ken.

I just knew someone was going to throw this out but figured no point
pre-empting it. I'm reminded very much of the Machiavellian 'The perils of change' quote. It is way over the top for this situation but I loved the quote from the first that I ever heard it and I just can't let this opportunity pass without dragging it out, its just way too irresistable to me so I apologise in advance for any / all unintended offence - but it really is a great quote:

“It
 must be considered that there is nothing more difficult to carry out,
nor more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to handle, than to
initiate a new order of things. For the reformer has enemies in all
those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all
those who would profit by the new order, this lukewarmness arising
partly from fear of their adversaries, who have the laws in their
favour; and partly from the incredulity of mankind, who do not truly
believe in anything new until they have had actual experience of it.
Thus it arises that on every opportunity for attacking the reformer, his
 opponents do so with  the zeal of partisans, the others only defend him
 half-heartedly, so that between them he runs great danger."

Thomas is in the unenviable position of needing to keep nearly everyone happy. And that is not an easy task.

I've remained silent but the previous text
was too small for me. The reason I have remained silent so
far is because myth is highly customisable so when I determined that it
didn't work for me I changed it to suit and created my own personal theme. But it seems on rough
comparison that Thomas has - more or less - now picked exactly the font
size that I previously moved to so I am going to give it the thumbs up.

To me however it is clearly going to come down to personal preference and individual setup. Although I think the key part in the individual setup is going to be a combination of screen size AND sitting position from the screen rather than just the screen size. I sit a long way from the screen (because my living room is long and narrow and that is the most effective use of the space) but there are an infinite number of possibilities / combinations.

But whatever size is picked, you will not be able to make everyone happy.

Given that there is a healthy number of people who seem to agree on the smaller text sizes maybe they can band together and maintain a new theme that reflects that groups preferences and that can then be published with MythTV? I'm sure (correct me if I am wrong) that Thomas would be more than happy to let them copy the Mythbuntu theme to get it all started so that all of the hard work is already done?

Thomas, I have the occasional aspiration to create / make available my own personal theme for others but it is based nearly entirely on your Mythbuntu theme (although I think from about 0.25/fixes) - can I have permission to copy your latest Mythbuntu theme version as a new starting point and rework to my own set of preferences?

Mark.