[mythtv-users] Migration Mythbuntu 10.04 to Mythbuntu 12.04 stuck, Need Help

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 3 09:46:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 14:10:54 -0500, you wrote:

>I got the 12.04 system built up and running with the default empty database
>on a separate disk that I swap out with the 10.04 system disk.  I used
>mythconverg_backup.pl on the old system (Schema 1254) to backup the
>database and copied it over to a disk shared with the new system image.
>Then I swapped out the 10.04 system disk for the 12.04 system disk.  I ran
>mythconverg_restore.pl on the 12.04 system and figured out pretty quick by
>running tail -f on the mythbackend.log that mythconverg_restore.pl didn't
>stop mythbackend and mythbackend didn't like the state of the database, so
>I stopped it with:
>$ initctl stop mythtv-backend
>
>Once the restore completed, I restarted mythbackend and it reported the
>outdated schema 1254, created a backup and eventually proceeded to update
>it to the current (as far as it is concerned) schema 1299.  So far, so good.
>
>When mythbackend logged that the schema was up to date, I then started the
>frontend and got a blank screen overlay and there it sits.  Checking the
>frontend log, I see that it reports the MythMusic schema (MusicDBSchemaVer)
>is 1017 and should be 1019.  It reports that it is waiting to see if it is
>being upgraded, times out, creates another database backup, and reports
>that the backup is complete.  That's the last line in the frontend log in
>the last 20+ minutes.  Meanwhile, the backend log is active, but not
>indicating that it is doing anything about the outdated MythMusic schema.
>
>I _do_ have the MythMusic plug-in installed, but without a frontend, I
>can't think of anything to do to fix the schema.  I don't see anything in
>/usr/bin that looks like it starts a MythMusic app, so how do I get past
>this impasse?

Yes, I got exactly that sort of problem when I upgraded.  I think the
following procedure should fix it.  Uninstall the mythmusic plugin,
then restore the old database again and first run mythtv-setup and
allow it to upgrade the database.  Then run mythfrontend - you will
probably find that you have a problem with your theme.  You are likely
using a theme in the old database that is not installed yet on the new
system.  Choose a theme that works, then using that theme, install the
theme you want and change to it.  Once you have all that working, then
install the mythmusic plugin again and run mythfrontend.  You should
now be able to see the question it is asking you and reply to it
correctly and it will then upgrade the mythmusic tables in the
database and everything will be working again.

If that does not work, fully uninstall mythbackend (and mythdatabase?)
and reinstall them, so you have an empty database.  Or find the
procedure somewhere in the MythTV Wiki for creating an empty database
and do that.  Then run mythfrontend, choose a working theme, install
the theme you have in your old database, restore the old database and
then as above.