[mythtv-users] Moving MythTV backend to another computer

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Apr 3 09:19:57 UTC 2014

On 3/04/2014 12:42 AM, Sam Jacobs wrote:
> On 2 April 2014 at 14:23:22, Michael T. Dean (mtdean at thirdcontact.com) wrote:

>>> How would one go about setting up a MythTV system that way?
>>>
>>> What about scheduling recordings, editing rules, etc.?
>>>

>> You still need a master backend somewhere on the network. This is just
>> for the "extra" computers that do things for MythTV but don't have
>> tuners. They needn't be remote backends (and all the tons of extra
>> resources running one requires -
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365270#365270 ),
>> especially since running a backend without tuners breaks some parts of
>> MythTV.
> Yeah, but the tunerless machine is the only reasonable candidate for the master backend role. Otherwise I’d need to have the PC on simply to schedule a recording, or edit a rule! Or does mythmediaserver also run the scheduler?
>
> I’d really appreciate it if you could point me to something I can use to educate myself as to the specific reasons *why* I shouldn’t have my MythTV system set up the way that I currently do. It doesn’t give me any problems currently, but I’m not using all the features of MythTV and if this setup is going to cause me pain in the future, I’d like to know how.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Just configure the "Demo Tuner", then you have a "authorized"
configuration....
There are many reasons for/against the need for Slave backends.  I love
the fact that we have the OPTION of using a slave backend (if this
becomes a slave recording host, slave media server and a slave jobqueue
processor then thats fine, as long as we have the option)

Michael