[mythtv-users] Region free DVD player?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Apr 3 02:39:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 05:51:31PM -0400, faginbagin wrote:
> On 4/2/2014 4:09 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:
> >> Is use of MythTV as a region free DVD player supported?
> >>
> >> If it is, I will be posting an issue I've encountered. If it isn't, I'll keep it to myself.
> >
> > Officially this is not a MythTV issue.  MythTV does not itself support
> > decryption of encrypted media.  If you're using MythTV with third
> > party libraries that do provide such things, you should not seek
> > support for that on this list.  I believe that's the party line here.
> >
> > Eric
>
> Hypothetically speaking:
>
> What if I have done as *I think* jedi suggested, separated the media from the content outside of mythtv and now have content that is not encrypted and plays in vlc and mplayer but not in mythtv? Is discussion on the list still off limits?
>
> What if I figure out and fix the problem? Should I submit a patch or keep it to myself?

    I don't recall any point in time when playing video with a differing frame
rate or frame size was any kind of problem on a computer. Computers have pretty
much always had arbitrary setups likely to not match the local TV standard.

    I play stuff from the other side of the pond all the time. Some of the
stuff I have is just obscure ethnic material and other stuff is just items that
are hard to find or expensive in my local region.