[mythtv-users] How to enable frontend and backend logs for Arch?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 02:02:57 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 02:42 PM, david brooke wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Arch doesn't use wrapper scripts, and Bill has told you how to use the
>> logging options. If you still don't get it, then I can't help you.
>>
>> It is generally accepted that when you ask for help in a free software
>> community, you show some evidence of effort on your part. So far, Raymond,
>> Bill and I have all circled "no logging options were used" as the answer,
>> and yet you seem to ignore it each time
>
> Thanks for your answer "Arch doesn't use wrapper scripts". but please
> refrain from participating in this discussion any further.

Wow.

Maybe you had tried: mythfrontend --syslog local7 (for example) from the command
line and found no logs. In that case, reading this paragraph could explain things:

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Limit_the_size_of_.log_files_%26_the_journal#The_first_topic_on_this_page_will_briefly_cover_the_systemd_journal

which says logs will go to the journal system. But, I'm a *buntu user
so I can't test that. Does: journalctl -b | grep -i myth work?

It also says the distribution uses a syslog-ng configuration file. So this
might help:

     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_syslog-ng_Configuration

If you don't understand syslog-ng (I've never used it,) you could put
yours in an accessible pastebin for others to comment on (after adding
the lines from the Wiki if they're not already there.)

You haven't reported anything about using: mythfrontend --logpath /tmp.
syslog-ng should have nothing to do with it.

--
Bill