[mythtv-users] Moving MythTV backend to another computer

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 2 14:17:33 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 09:42 AM, Sam Jacobs wrote:
> On 2 April 2014 at 14:23:22, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> How would one go about setting up a MythTV system that way?
>>>
>>> What about scheduling recordings, editing rules, etc.?
>>>

>> You still need a master backend somewhere on the network. This is just
>> for the "extra" computers that do things for MythTV but don't have
>> tuners. They needn't be remote backends (and all the tons of extra
>> resources running one requires -
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365270#365270 ),
>> especially since running a backend without tuners breaks some parts of
>> MythTV.
> Yeah, but the tunerless machine is the only reasonable candidate for the master backend role.

The only way that could be true is if it's because you are trying to
avoid running cables.  Running 2 backends is actually a waste if you
don't need them, and I can't think of any reason you'd need more than
one backend except for scalability reasons--i.e. you have more tuners
than you can fit/power/... in one backend.  And, anywhere you have a
backend, you have to have network cables, so in many cases you can use
network tuners and use the cables you have already run.

 From a power perspective, the remote backend wastes all the power it
uses when it's on--compared to having the tuners in the always-on PC.
Even if an idle tuner is using more than negligible power, the
likelihood that its <non-negligible idle power draw> times 24 hours per
day is greater than the <whole remote backend system> watts times
<recording/powered on hours> is very small (unless you barely ever run
it/record TV).

 From a robustness perspective, it adds additional potential points of
failure--from failing to wakeup to network failures preventing
communications with the master backend/mysql server to ...

So why can't you have your master backend have tuners and be the
always-on PC?

>   Otherwise I’d need to have the PC on simply to schedule a recording, or edit a rule! Or does mythmediaserver also run the scheduler?
>
> I’d really appreciate it if you could point me to something I can use to educate myself as to the specific reasons *why* I shouldn’t have my MythTV system set up the way that I currently do. It doesn’t give me any problems currently, but I’m not using all the features of MythTV and if this setup is going to cause me pain in the future, I’d like to know how.

No, as of now, the master backend does all the scheduling and such.  It
must be a backend.  This is why I recommended just making the always-on
PC the master backend and sticking tuners in it (or using network tuners
or ...) or, alternatively, making the master backend system the
always-on PC.  (So, you could either stick tuners in the current
always-on PC and run cables for the tuners to it, or you could move the
current always-on PC to the location with the TV inputs and stick tuners
in it, or you could move the processes/services that the always-on PC
provides to the system that's near your TV inputs and make that the
master backend.)

In the future, we may split the scheduler from the recorders (we will if
I can convince the others and make the time to finish it).  Until then,
the scheduling is in mythbackend, and we don't support running a
"scheduling-only" backend without tuners--so if doing so, problems you
encounter may well be related to your running in an
unsupported/untested/known-to-have-some-problems configuration.

Mike