[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Apr 1 18:51:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> My TV is an LG and it does indeed have a both a separate *analog* audio
> input. And a separate one for digital audio input. But I've never set up an
> digital audio stuff before, so I don't know exactly what I would be doing.
> In fact I don't even know what type of cable to use for something like that.

There are two kinds of commonly used digital audio cable, one is an
RCA style coaxial copper cable, and the other is a fiber optic
"toslink" cable.  If your TV accepts coaxial input and your
motherboard has coaxial output, you can use pretty much any RCA cable
to do the connection.  If they're both fiber, you would need to get a
fiber cable for that.  The difficult case is when one has only copper
and the other has only fiber.

Setting up the PC to do digital output isn't very hard at all.

This should completely eliminate any hum.

Eric