[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Philip Isaacs showcasefloyd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 15:24:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Philip Isaacs <showcasefloyd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Okay, so this is slightly off subject, but I've hooked up my Myth PC to
> my
> > LCD TV via a DVI to HDMI adapter. I then ran a single audio cable from
> the
> > sound card on the PC into the audio port in the back of the TV.  The
> picture
> > looks great but there's a annoying hum coming from the TV now. It's
> pretty
> > loud too. I tried switching out the cables but I'm having no luck. Any
> > suggestions on how to fix this? I know it's not exactly Myth related but
> I'm
> > guessing maybe others have run into this issue.
>
> You've touched off a small firestorm.
>
> Noise-free analog audio can be difficult to achieve.  This is the sort
> of thing that digital audio was invented to solve.  The simplest
> solution is to switch to a digital audio connection, either using hdmi
> or some form of spdif.
>
> Eric

Okay, these are great suggestions. I think it's a ground loop as well. I'm
going to try putting the TV and PC on the same power strip and see if that
helps. Thanks so much for the advice.

The reason I'm using a separate audio cable is because (as others pointed
out) I don't have a video card that supports DVI with Audio.

Thanks so much for the advice,

Floyd